Pages

Friday, August 26, 2016

The ULTIMATE Name Game: Why I'm Learning EVERY Student's Name

You tell students that they matter. You tell them their struggles and issues are your concern. You smile at them in the hallways and say things like “cool shoes”.  You teach them study skills, responsibility, personal safety, self-esteem, and so much more.

You genuinely want them to succeed.

What’s their name?

Do you know their name?

     You may know what sports team they are on. Or if their brother or sister went to your school. You may know who they hang out with or who they date. But do you know their name?

I am making it my personal goal to answer that question with a solid “YES!!”

     This week I delivered my first guidance lesson to each 7th and 8th grader at my school. 6th grade is coming up next week. I talked to my students about the role of a school counselor and why I value their opinions. I told them that I will be there for them whether they just need a smile and “good morning”, all the way to weekly check in meetings. I will stand by what I told them. And, and, AND…I will know their names.


I will know every student’s name by the end of the first semester. That is my goal, and I will keep you all updated as to how it is going! I need to memorize at least 29 names a week. That is going to be a HUGE challenge.

I know that we can impact students in many ways. I am not suggesting that the only way to know your students is to know their names. I just want this for my school and myself.

This is Mere in the middle of trying to put 418 faces and names into my brain! Wish me luck! Any tips or advice? Comment below! 


From the middle with love,




Mere

11 comments:

  1. I am the K-2 SPED teacher in Hamburg. My husband works for Dayspring and he told me that you were learning every student's name in the middle school! I thought how amazing is that? Keep up the good work! Glad to have you in South Arkansas! �� - Evan Owens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a 1st grade teacher at Hamburg! This is great! Like Evan said, our district is lucky to have you! -Blake Higginbotham

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am horrible at remembering names, so I have no suggestions for you, but I'm so excited that you are bringing such intentional joy to the middle school in Hamburg. Keep loving on those children, because they need it... and when I come back home to visit, I'll take you out to dinner!! Welcome to Hamburg!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a mother of a middle schooler, THANK YOU!! You are the positive that is so badly needed in the middle school! Welcome to Hamburg!! I pray that you will be happy in our little town and stay many years!! We need more people like you!! Again, THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positive attitudes and open hearts are needed when working with this age! I love working with these students, and I hope they see it. Your support is so appreciated! Thank you!!

      Delete
  5. I will know my students names by the end of the year, but when I run into them in a year or two I will DEFINATLY remember them, but probably not their names. I always feel terrible about that, but they have to remember just a few names and we are suppose to remember them ALL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true! Ha! It is way harder than I thought it would be!

      Delete
  6. Thank you all so much for the support! It has become a talking point with every student. I love seeing their face light up if I get it right! Once again, I can't thank you all enough for the support. It means so much!

    ReplyDelete